Subsidence and Damage

We undertake a variety of subsidence and structural damage surveys.

Are you experiencing cracking, subsidence or a bulging wall?

It could be harmless, but you need to find out. If you spot a crack, the best thing to do is to contact us so we can discuss a survey to inspect the cracks and inform you of the best course of action.

Has your property been subject to structural damage?

Whether a water main has burst and flooded your house or a vehicle has driven into it, you will need a Structural Engineer to determine if structural damage has occurred. We have extensive experience in liaising with Insurance Companies and Loss adjusters. Contact us to discuss a structural survey and we will be able to guide you through the process and hopefully remove some of the inevitable stress along the way.

Subsidence & Underpinning

IMG_0038Subsidence is the downward movement of the ground supporting a building, with particular problems occurring when that movement varies from one part of the building to another, producing cracks.

The three main causes of subsidence are the underlying soil, the age of the house and the proximity of trees or shrubs. Another cause of subsidence is damaged drains and the softening or washing away of soil under foundations.

Cracks are usually the first warning signs, although most buildings have some cracks due to the natural expansion and contraction of bricks caused by changes in temperature. What you should look for are small, usually vertical diagonal, cracks – especially around doors and windows. These will usually be thicker than a 10p coin and wider at the top

If you spot a crack, the best thing to do is contact a Structural Engineer who will be able to inspect the cracks and inform you the best course of action